Don’t call it a comeback

It’s been a while. Here’s what has been happening:

1. I left Nokia
There are so many reasons for this, so this really requires a separate post. But suffice to say, after over 7 years at the company, I decided I needed to do something new. And, ultimately, I wanted to see my daughters every day. See this photo to understand why.

2. I joined an ad agency
Actually, it’s more of a idea factory, which sounds a bit wanky but is a much better description of what 358 does. With guys from IDEO, industrial designers, and a whole bunch of people who don’t want to just make the same old ads, it’s a really interesting place to be right now. I’m a strategist, but we are aim to be T-shaped.

3. We bought a new apartment in central Helsinki
Big decision to move to the centre of the city with our two daughters, but we feel like they are going to have an awesome life there. We are probably going to go without a car, which will also be interesting. ps the apartment is lovely. Photos to come.

4. We survived one of the longest winters ever
It’s still snowing in Helsinki. Hopefully we’ll just skip spring now and go straight to summer.

5. My thoughts about marketing techniques have changed quite a lot
I used to think that “traditional” marketing was past its sell-by date; now – after reading lots – I think that it all depends on what you want to achieve. But, the truth is, “engagement” is actually not very useful for most brands, who should instead be concentrating on getting more people to consider their brand. Much more on this to come.

6. I got a bit obsessed with the idea of minimalism
I’ve been reading a lot about this, and plan on implementing the thoughts into my life. From food to cars to clothes, I will aim to simplify. The best thing about this is it fills you with a kind of calm, knowing that the things you need in life are actually quite simple and not expensive. I have a strong feeling that this particular obsession is going to lead to some more profound changes in my life, but for now it has at least given me a feeling of calm and reminded me that I am so lucky to already have the things I have in life.

Lots to share. Look forward to the conversations!

Advertisements
Tagged , , , ,

10 thoughts on “Don’t call it a comeback

1. Ninttari says:

Good to have you back!

I have had “How Brands Grow” on my reading list for some time. So after your recommendation I’ll read it next 🙂

Do you have any other recommentions related to more traditional marketing and advertising?

2. Jussi-Pekka says:

And for a some weird reason WordPress.com had some really old alias saved. The first comment was from me.

3. I think that pic itself is reason enough to leave 🙂

4. Good to have you back bro, looking forward to reading more 🙂

*saving for that minimalist link too*

5. dagood says:

Hi JP – I’m writing a post now that will feature some good links 🙂

Thanks Surya – you’re 100% right.

And hey James – you linking to this blog inspired me to get writing again so thanks for that!

6. askush says:

best of luck mate. sounds exciting

7. dagood says:

@askusk thanks Asi! Best of luck with your new gig I’ve just noticed too! Sidekick sounds awesome. 358 is doing more and more product and service design, although we definitely still do some of the more “traditional” advertising too (for now at least). Will keep on eye on Sidekick though! 🙂

8. dagood says:

@Askush btw, I almost, inadvertently, copied your wordpress template – I was looking for something simple and minimalist and almost chose the same one as you, which would be a bit like turning up in the same clothes to a party… luckily I realised just in time!

9. jameshogwood says:

woo! very excited to see you back blogging again. i’ve missed the brainfood…looking forward to seeing how the change of direction comes through in your writing 🙂

10. dagood says:

Thanks James! I’ve got lots of stuff to write about, so I look forward to hearing your comments 🙂